The Talent Search program is one of the four branches of the TRIO Program, a US Department of Education Program, hosted by Palau Community College since SY 2002-2016
To increase the number of youth from disadvantaged background to complete high school, and to complete a program of post-secondary education institution of their choice.
The program seeks to meet the learning needs of eligible students from the sixth through the twelfth grade, so that they can succeed in achieving a high school diploma and continue on to attain post-secondary Education.
To assist 500 eligible students per year toward graduation in high school and to complete a post-secondary education.
WHAT SERVICES ARE OFFERED TO PARTICIPANTS?
- Services offered include but are not limited to the following:
- Academic advice and assistance in secondary school and college course selection.
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance examination.
- Assistance in completing college admission and financial aid applications.
- Guidance on secondary school reentry or entry to other programs leading to a secondary school diploma or its equivalent.
- Personal and career counseling
- Tutorial services
- Exposure to high school or college campuses as well as cultural events, academic programs, and other sites or activities not usually available to disadvantaged youth.
- Workshops for students and parents
- Rigorous Curriculum
- College Completion
WHO MAY APPLY ?
Students in grades 6-12 at participating schools and young people who have not earned a high school diploma, who:
- Are Palauan;
- Are 11 to 27 years old;
- Are over 27 years old but enrolled in a GED program or the Adult High School;
- Plan to attend college;
- Have the potential to succeed in college but need additional academic or counseling assistance and other pertinent college information;
- First in the family to enroll in college;
- From low-income families.
APPLICATION PROCESS CHECKLIST:
- Complete and sign student application form
- Commitment Agreement
- Screening Interview / Self Assessment Form
- Copy of Wage & Tax Statement, SS & Pension Plan, or Other Source of Income
- Verification of school attendance, such as Report Cards & transcripts.
- Parental Consent Form on Medical/Health
- Teacher’s Recommendation Letter